Thursday, September 20, 2007

What's in a name?

This morning on my way to Columbia, I had to stop off in Elgin and pick up some lawn mower blades. Well, they had what I needed and whenever I got ready to pay, I handed the guy my debit card. He walk around the corner and then looked back at me and said, "Spradley? Which one are you related to?" Of course, my reply was Tim. I thought he would give me the usual response of "Oh, you're the one that lost your son?" Well, he didn't say that, but he said , "Oh, you're the good ones." Then he goes on to tell me that he had some dealings with one particular Spradley and it was NOT GOOD! He told me who it was and what happened, but that doesn't really matter. The most important thing was someone else knew what I have always known...Tim is such a good man. But this whole situation got me to thinking about the whole "NAME" thing means/stands for. What exactly is in a name? Do we really think about who we are and what we represent? Are we the honest person we should be at all times and in all things and in all places? (sound familiar yw) I try to do the right thing, and we are constantly drilling into the heads of our boys to be on their best behavior at all times, because someone is ALWAYS watching us and waiting to see what we will do and how we will handle situations as they arise. I think we have handled ourselves pretty well over the past 2 years and 3 months. Our lives have taken a path we never really thought it would. SO, there again, we had a choice to make. We could have taken another road and ended up in a different situation. But we are so thankful for the plan of salvation in our lives and knowing what we know about life on this earth and life after this one. It's obvious to all we know, we have lost something during this life that we will never get back....however, we know what is ours if we but choose to do the right thing. I urge all reading this to give it a little thought and consider how you would have reacted and if you are living up to your name.